Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Soreness of Champions

Thanks to Groupon, my best friend and I started going to CrossFit classes - if you haven't heard the craze it's kinda like having a personal trainer but in a group/competitive setting. I will tell you it has kicked my butt these past two days but it feels so good!! If you're sore you know it's working!! I love CrossFit (so far) because it's just like going to the gym but you don't have to think about anything, just show up and do what they tell you!! It is weight training plus cardio so it's a good mix of everything.

 
Love this, can be found here via Etsy

My journey to a healthier me started around October when I noticed that I was about ten pounds heavier than I was used to being - doesn't sound like a lot but on a 5'1'' frame I was starting to notice big time. Step one was to change my diet. I had tried the gym thing previously but I always fell off the band wagon. SO I thought I would change what I put in my mouth. 

I started using My Fitness Pal (a website as well as an iPhone app). I used it for a week, then stopped, then started again, then stopped... I finally committed to it when my bestie and her mom (my second momma) started using the app as well and kept me in check. It's basically like calorie counting for dummies. I was against the idea of being "one of those girls" that counts calories but I tell you it works!! Honestly it's not just about counting - it eventually educated me to make better/healthier food choices. I used to say "oh I'll just swing by Bojangles after school no big deal, I'll eat healthy for dinner." WRONG. Turns out my go to chicken biscuit and honey mustard was LOADED with calories, not to mention if I squeezed in a few heaven rounds. Moral of the story it educated me a lot about food so I could make better choices within things I still liked to eat!! I definitely would recommend it to anyone!! I lost 8 pounds even through the holidays!! My girlfriend lost the same and her mom lost a whopping 22 pounds, I'm telling you it can work!!

Since early January I decided to stop counting - I feel like I know what to eat and what not eat. I've been able to maintain my weight since slimming down and now I'm ready to tone up!! Hello CrossFit!!

When motivation is lacking I just scroll through my motivational vault:






Not to mention this which BLOWS my mind...



That should be motivation enough for anyone to get on the right track and get/keep/stay healthy!!
If you don't know where to start find someone to back you up and keep you accountable, it really can make all the difference. You will only get what you work for, nothing more, nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment